We will first visit the Daphni Monastery (UNESCO World Heritage Site), which is an 11th-century Byzantine Monastery 11 km north-west of central Athens in the suburb of Chaidari, south of Athinon Avenue. It is situated near the homonymous forest, on the Sacred Way that led to Eleusis. The Daphni Monastery was founded about the turn of the 6th century, Christianizing the site of the Sanctuary of Apollo Daphnaios that had been desecrated by the Goths in 395, and reusing the Ionic columns of the ancient temple of Apollo in its portico; only one remains, the others having been removed to London by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin. Then, we will visit the settlement of Eleusis, which was founded in 2000 BC, on the slopes of the hill and during the Mycenaean period it developed into a large fortified settlement, mostly due to its strategic position. During this periodit was introducedthe cult of Demeter, as the worship of a deity connected to nature and the growing of cereals. The continuity of Demeter’s cult is attested until Roman times, by the erection of successive temples on the east side of the hill. In the 8thcenturyBC the sanctuary acquired a Panhellenic character, and in the time of Solon, the Eleusinian Mysteries were established as one of the most important Athenian festivals. During the tyranny of Peisistratus the sanctuary and the settlement were enclosed with a massive fortification wall reinforced with towers. Splendid buildings were erected during the Classical and Roman periods, but with the spread of Christianity and especially after the invasion of the Ostrogoths, the sanctuary was abandoned.
- Monastery of Daphni Eleusis
- Daphni Monastery
- Ancient temple of Apollo
THE RATES INCLUDE:
- The transfer of the participants in luxury air-conditioned vehicle.
- Experienced Professional English-Speaking Drivers.
- Insurance for the participants and professional liability.
- One (1) bottle of mineral water (500ml) per person.
- Free WiFi on board.
- Parking fees.
THE RATES DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Tickets for museums, historical monuments, sites etc.
- Tips for the Drivers and the Guides.
- Meals, Drinks etc.
- Any service not mentioned in our included items.
- Certificated English-Speaking Guide (during the tour or on the spot).
- Call us at +306947320678 for last minute modifications.
- Our staff will wait for you at the airports/ports/hotels, holding a sign with your name.
- Even in case of your flight/boat delay our staff will still be expecting you.
- A map of Athens will be provided to you.
- We will help you with your luggage and offer you any other information/service you may need.
- We ensure confidential handling of all your personal data we receive.